PDA

View Full Version : Why are People with Normal Cholesterol Dying of Heart Attacks?

Angella
12th August 2012, 11:44 PM
The following is a summary from CNN and the Greenville News (my hometown newspaper)

According to a new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine dated Novemeber 14, 2002, C-Reactive Protein is a stronger predictor of cardiovascular events than the LDL cholesterol level.

The study was based on 27,939 women and conducted for eight years. It was concluded that those with high levels of C-Reactive Protein are twice as likely as those with high cholesterol to die from heart attacks and strokes C-Reactive Protein or CRP is a blood test that measures inflammation in the body. The tests costs between $25.00 to $50.00.

The inflammation comes from many sources and triggers heart attacks by weakening the walls of blood vessels, making fatty buildups burst.

WHAT IS INFLAMMATION?

"Inflammation" is the process by which the body responds to injury, and it can affect the blood vessels that feed the heart.

Doctors believe inflammation has many possible sources:

Often, the fatty buildups that line the blood vessels become inflamed as white blood cells invade in a misguided defense attempt.

Other possible triggers include high blood pressure, smoking and lingering low-level infections, such as chronic gum disease.

One of the key researchers, Dr. Paul Ridker of Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital believes the evidence is overwhelming that inflammation is a central factor in cardiovascular disease, by far the world's biggest killer.

Ridker's study says for the first time what level of CRP should be considered worrisome, so doctors can make sense of patients' readings.

Dr. Eric Topol, chief of cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic states that this is no longer a theory but is a proven fact.

Dr. Richard Milani of the Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans, recommends a CRP check for almost anyone getting a cholesterol test. "If I have enough concern to check a patient's cholesterol, it seems naive not to include an inexpensive test that would give me even more information," he said.

Dr. Sidney Smith, research director of the American Heart Association, said CRP testing is likely to be most helpful in guiding the care of the 40 percent of U.S. adults already considered at intermediate risk of heart attacks because of other conditions, such as age, obesity and high blood pressure.

"The CRP test can predict risk 15 to 25 years in the future," Ridker said. "We have a long time to get our patients to change their lifestyles, and the change does not have to be huge -- modest exercise, modest weight loss and stop smoking."

Dr. Paul Ridker is commmented as saying, "The CRP test can predict risk 15 to 25 years in the future. We have a long time to get our patients to change their lifestyles, and the change does not have to be huge"

Dr. Grisanti's Comments:

Although I am glad that this information has made national news, I must admit, I am disappointed that eight years had to pass before the medical establishment came to this conclusion.

You see, I was taught back over five years ago the impact of C-Reactive Protein and cardiovascular disease. C-Reactive Protein has been part of my routine blood profile for years.. Unfortunately, my message of the seriousness of CRP had gone on "deaf ears". With all the hype on cholesterol...what did I expect...

Most people are strongly influenced by the mass media advertising...why would they believe me?

The saddest part of this whole thing is the fact that one out of two people die from heart disease and how many people could have been saved if only their doctors checked beyond cholesterol.

This is the second time this year a major medical study has documented something that I have been telling patients for years... I am referring to the Hormone Replacement Issue..

Remember, biochemistry rarely changes. The normal biochemical pathways are a fact.. There are principles that are non-negotiable. Unfortunately, the public has been fed a lot of false information. I will be the first to admit and say that medicine does have its wonder drugs and many lives have been saved, but I will also say that many many people simply are not being told the truth.

Now if you think your family physician is not being totally honest with you, the truth of the matter is...he actually believes the same hype that you believe and really is doing what he believes is the right thing to do.

I have a number of close friends who are medical physicians. In addition, I have attended several medical conferences over the last few years. I keep hearing the same thing over and over again... Most medical doctors are influenced by drug reps and very few read beyond what they see in their favorite medical journals.

Unless your doctor "dusts off" his biochemistry books and re-discovers the basic principles of human function, I can only pray that your physician stops the "one pill fits all approach" toward disease.

source - Ronald Grisanti D.C.

Blingmo
15th August 2012, 08:53 AM
Discomfort also been triggered assume that cholesterol is usually undesirable knowning that decreasing it truly is great. As a consequence of substantial pharmaceutic advertising and marketing to help both equally medical professionals and also people we all think that utilizing statin medicines is usually which may work to reduce the chance connected with heart violence and also demise.

Nevertheless on the methodical data is usually this particular centered? Precisely what does that data definitely indicate?

Roger Williams once explained a thing that is incredibly relevant to help the way we frequently check out the advantages of statins: "There are generally liars, damn liars, and also statisticians. inch.

Before I clarify that will, below are a few believed provoking results for you to ponder.

Should you decrease awful cholesterol (LDL) however employ a lower HDL (good cholesterol), there isn't a advantage for you to statins. [i]
Should you decrease awful cholesterol (LDL) however don't minimize inflammation (marked with a check called C-reactive protein), there isn't a advantage for you to statins. [ii]
If you're a normal person using higher cholesterol, there isn't a proof that will getting statins minimizes your current risk involving cardiovascular strike or even demise. [iii].