PDA

View Full Version : Salsa Fiesta Lived The Hype

ajbabe
4th March 2012, 05:21 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2u8f0pt.jpg
Until last Saturday when I was priveleged to watch the final of the Salsa fiesta, I had always thought the hype and the excitement with which people talked about the dance imported from Latin America was over-exaggerated.

Throughout the programme held at the lobby of the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) I really understood why people who loved the dance talked about it so passionately and almost wished I could do a few steps myself.

It was just a great night and from the way the dancers performed and the audience cheered, it was pretty clear that they simply loved it.

Perhaps, it is not coincidental that the salsa fiesta got into the month of love because seeing people dressed in their red and white also indicated that apart from the show itself, Valentine was nearing.

With the competition starting as a dance reality series on the television screens the grand finale brought out the best on the Saturday night when the group all the way from Independent Hall of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), walked away with the ultimate prize of GHc3,000 and hampers from the sponsors, Close Up toothpaste from Unilever.

The Aviation and T. Havana clubs from the Greater Accra finished as first and second runners up, won GHc 2000 and GHc 1500 respectively and hampers from sponsors.

The best costume and Choreography also went to the Jubilee Pool Salsa club from Takoradi who received hampers from sponsors .Aside this, all the clubs were given certificates of participation.

Unfortunately, the fans of T. Havana weren’t content with the group’s position because in their estimation, they did well throughout their performance and had a sizeable number of the audience cheering them on.

Even when they had not come on stage, their fans still cheered and yearned for more but the judges looked beyond the excitement their fans felt.

They judged based on style, passion and personality which unfortunately did not score high marks for them .

To set a passionate mood for the show, there was a good performance from host Chris Attoh and hostess Naa Ashorkor who performed a salsa dance which seemed well rehearsed much to the admiration of the audience while an impressive line up performance from the dance instructors and the crew from Unilever set the tone for a really enjoyable night of twists and turns in dance.

It was also wonderful seeing dance instructors teach the audience the salsa dance steps. More exciting was the effort by the instructors to introduce the dance of the moment, ‘Azonto into the salsa dance’.

It was surprising to see people dance nicknamed ‘Salsa Azonto’ but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

The B2D club started the ‘salsa azonto’ dance with songs from Guru titled Lapaz Toyota, Oliver Twist by D’banj and Kolom by Buk Bak after which they did great.

Then came the Last Hour beach club, Jubilee House club with their old School drama, Fridays club with great acrobatics, North C restaurant club performed with Obianuju (Asanwa Baby) by Duncan Mighty and delivered it with the Azonto dance. Vienna City club followed next was Boomerang salsa club, Pentagon club from the University of Ghana and finally the Temple Salsa Club.

After all these performances, five clubs - Jubilee Pool, T. Havana, The Temple, Aviation and the Independent clubs were selected for the final with the Independent Salsa Club being declared eventual winners of the Close Up Salsa Fiesta 2012.

The crowd at the lobby were served more than they had hoped for when an international salsa dance group from Nigeria did an excellent stage performance.

The show excitedly rolled to its end with performances from the Yese Yesee singers, 4X4, who drew the curtains on the show with a number of their songs which got most people do their own versions of the Azonto.

modernghana.com