PDA

View Full Version : GPL: Kotoko finish top of league

ajbabe
16th January 2012, 10:42 PM
Asante Kotoko finished the first round of the GLO premier league as champions, opening a four point lead with a 2-1 win over SC Medeama at the Baba Yara sports stadium at the weekend.

Michael Akuffo and Daniel Nii Adjei scored for Kotoko with Bilal Mohammed getting a late consolation for SC Medeama.

The weekend results improved the Porcupine Warriors to 31 points, four clear of rivals Hearts of Oak which was held to a 2-2 draw by Heart of Lions at the Accra Sports stadium.

Twice Hearts led with Douglas Nkrumah and Mahatma but Fadi Benjamin and Emmanuel Anarfi twice provided equalizers as the Phobians finished the first round in disappointing fashion.

According to hearts of oak midfielder uriah Asante, poor officiating on the day caused them to surrender the three points.

“I’m so much disappointed with officiating because we dominated the game and if not for the bad referring we should have won the game”. He told Joy Sports

Hearts of Oak dropped to third place by virtue of Chelsea’s superior goal tally after Kissi Boateng’s first half goal handed them a 1-0 win over Aduana Stars.

The impressive WA All Stars fell six points behind Kotoko after drawing goalless with Liberty Professionals in WA.

The attention this weekend was in Bekwai as top scorer in the league, striker Emmanuel Baffour made a return to his team. Emmanuel Baffour failed to make the final 23 man Black Stars squad for the Africa Cup of Nations which begins this weekend in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon.

The 22 year old did not allow that to affect him as he expertly converted a penalty for a 1-0 win over Ashanti Gold. This means the young man ended the first round on a high with his 12th goal in only 13 appearances for Edubease.

In an interview with Joy Sports, Baffour noted that, he is focused on winning the goal king title to make a statement for himself.

“I have to continue what i was doing before i went the black stars and I hope all will go well”. Said Baffour

Ebusua Dwarfs beat Tema Youth 2-0 at the Robert Mensah Sports stadium at
Cape Coast, Wassaman drew 2-2 with Bechem United and Mighty Jets beat the troubled Berekum Arsenal 2-0 at the Accra Sports stadium on Saturday.