PDA

View Full Version : Police, residents disagree over murder of 3-year old girl

ajbabe
13th December 2011, 12:12 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/i2nhjk.jpg
The Suame police in Kumasi have ruled out ritual murder in the death of a 3-year old girl whose body was found near her family house at Abrepo.

Contrary to earlier reports that some of her body parts were missing, police say her body was intact.

The body of Akosua Ataa was discovered in a plantain garden about 40-meters from her family house, three days after being declared missing.

Residents had alleged some of her parts including the tongue and her genitals were missing.

Residents of Abrepo are finding it difficult to understand how her assailants seized and killed the girl from their family house.

Hundreds of them besieged the family house, and were seen in groups discussing the horrific incident as they mourned with the victim’s grandmother on discovery of the body Sunday morning.

District Commander, Superintendent Effah Boanu says preliminary investigations revealed no part of her body was tampered with.

“We examined the body and there is no part of the body that has been cut or otherwise so the people should not panic that it is a ritual murder. It is a murder case”, he explained.

The deceased, also known as Derris Boateng and her twin brother were left in the care of their grandmother following the death of the children's mum abroad.

The old lady is said to have helped the little girl to cross the road to a hair dressing salon at about 5pm on Friday to have her hair plaited. But she could not trace her whereabouts just after thirty minutes.

According to Mr. Boanu, blood traces and a cut on the forehead raise police suspicion the girl may have been murdered and her body later dumped there.

“There was blood coming from the nose and that makes me very suspicious but the postmortem examination will determine the cause of death,” Mr. Boanu stated.